(To increase text size, hold down Ctrl + on your keyboard.)
Thanks for applying to the No Barriers Youth Leading the Way: Sound Academy program!
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED TO SUNDAY, JANUARY 24, 2016 @ 5pm Mountain Standard Time
- Applicants must be 15-19 years at time of expedition (If you fall outside of this age range, please contact us).
- This expedition is open to students who are sighted, blind, and visually-impaired.
- This expedition involves intensive hiking in temperatures upwards of 100 degrees. While Leading the Way is about challenging yourself, it is important that you feel you are physically capable of these demands before applying.
- Priority will be given to students who have not yet participated in a No Barriers program. If we are able to accept returning participants, we will look for students who have demonstrated leadership skills.
If selected to participate in this program, you will be the recipient of scholarship funds from the National Park Service Natural Sounds and Night Skies Program. With that, you must commit to fulfilling the following requirements:
- Participate in 3-5 preparatory conference calls in the Spring of 2016
- Visit your nearest Park Service unit prior to the expedition
- Facilitate a 5-10 minute presentation in the field about the NPS unit you visited
- Give a presentation, either digitial or in-person, after your expedition summarizing your experience to 50 people
You CANNOT save progress on this form. We anticipate the application taking about 1 hour. Upon completion, a confirmation email will be sent to you with the information you submitted. If you do NOT receive a confirmation email, then we did NOT receive your application.
If you need a physical copy, large print, or braille copy please email LeadingTheWay@nobarriersusa.org
Be sure to have the following ready:
- Contact information for you and your legal guardians (if you are under 18)
- Contact information for your O&M instructor, TVI or someone else who can speak to your mobility skills (if you are blind or visually impaired)
- Personal health information
Items marked with a red asterisk are required.
Please contact No Barriers with any questions or concerns at (970) 484-3633 or LeadingTheWay@nobarriersusa.org
In order for your application to be complete, you MUST complete BOTH steps January 24, 2016 at 5pm MST for the final deadline!
(If you have previously participated in a LTW program please contact No Barriers for application details.)
Online application (You're doing that now!) .
Two educator referral forms, available here
. You can email the link to your educators.
All applications must be submitted online unless applicant requires a print format due to physical limitations. If so, please send an email to LeadingTheWay@nobarriersusa.org
, or call (970) 484-3633